Proper nutrition is so crucial to our looks and well being. What we put inside our bodies always shows up on the outside, like it or not. To feel and look your absolute best, aim to eat these “superfood” choices below almost every day.
1. Sweet Potatoes: Abundant source of vitamin A-great for skin, hair, nails, and eyesight. Sweet potatoes are also a slow burning carb, meaning they will provide energy without the “down” of simple carbohydrates. Baked in the oven, they are delicious even without any butter! Perfect as mid-afternoon snack, or as a meal when served with fresh veggies.
2. Broccoli: We have all been told to “eat our broccoli”, and with good reason. Broccoli is a good source for Vitamin A, Potassium, Folic Acid, Iron, and Fiber. Contains as much Calcium per ounce as milk! Also contains Phytochemicals, which help to prevent cancer. Truly a superfood! Best eaten steamed until bright green.
3. Salmon: Contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids, which protect against heart attacks, reduce inflammation, and possibly prevent cancer. Terrific brain food! Be sure to choose wild atlantic salmon, not farm-raised.
4. Garlic: Garlic has many healing properties, from lowering blood pressure to raising HDL “good cholesterol.” Powerful anti-viral and anti-biotic. It is most effective when eaten raw, but is delicious in many recipes, from stiry-fry to pasta.
5. Flaxseed: Flaxseed is very high in omega-3 essential fatty acids, the “good” fats. Possibly lowers cholesterol, stablizes blood sugar, and lowers the rate of breast, prostate, and colon cancers. All around hormone balancing food. I find it best when ground up in yogurt, and flax oil makes a delicious salad dressing. Can be found at any health food store. Be sure to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, as it spoils easily.
Keep Your Mind and Body Happy: Deliciously Nutritious Foods
6. Apples: A great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes. An apple (or two!) a day keeps the doctor away!
7. Oranges: Great source of vitamin C, which provides energy, protects blood vessels, and offers potent antioxidant protection. The whole fruit contains fiber and an array of healthy nutrients, but if you do choose juice, fresh squeezed is best –the juice in grocery stores is typically pasteurized, which can destroy vitamins.
8. Blueberries: This tiny berry packs a powerful antioxidant punch, more than any other fruit. It’s the color in their skin that actually makes them so special. Because of their amazingly high antioxidant content, they possess terrific cancer fighting benefits and are an all-around immune system booster. Also have been found to preserve vision, and keep skin clear and healthy. If I were to pick one food to eat every day, this berry would be it!
9. Brown Rice: A well balanced, fiber and vitamin rich grain. Make sure you buy the slow cook variety. I love brown rice served with just about anything, and you can use any leftover as a delicious addition to salads.
10. Almonds: Almonds provide a wonderful source of protein and are packed with “good fats”, helping to keep cholesterol in check and skin smooth and healthy.They are also a good source of calcium, which keeps our bones strong. Soak raw almonds in water for an hour (or even overnight) before eating. This helps release their natural enzymes, making them easily digestible.
Of course, there are many “superfoods” not listed, so be sure to make variety in your diet of the utmost importance. (Tip: The more colorful, the better.) By eating as many beneficial foods as possible and beginning to eliminate those that don’t offer much nutritionally, you’ll be on your way to radiant good health, as well as increased outer beauty!
Note: Before altering your diet in any significant way or beginning a supplement regimen, check with your physician.