Cook Time 1 1/2 hrs Serves 48 Calories 59
Protein 74 g Total Fat 1 g Saturated Fat .29 g Carbohydrates 12 g Dietary Fiber .32 g
1 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup agave nectar
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups whole grain spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp cloves, ground
1/2 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of brown sugar with 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening.
- Beat mixture at a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add 1/2 cup of agave nectar and 1 large egg to the bowl, beat well.
- In another bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups of white flour with 2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir ingredients with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Beat at a low speed until blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Place water 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl and 1/4 cup of sugar in another bowl.
- Lightly coat hands with cooking spray.
- Remove dough from the fridge and shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Dip one side of each ball in water, then dip the wet side into the sugar.
- Place balls, sugar side up, 1 inch apart, on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, then cool on wire rack before serving.
adapted from original recipe at: coreperformance.com